Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Hans is 3

Monday Hans celebrated his third birthday. The kids and I were joined by Mrs. Maertz, Ethan, Ryan, Mrs. Preston, Madison, Caleb, Mrs. Smith, and Wyatt for a Burger King lunch and playtime.

What Hans was most excited about was his cake. Since Evan's birthday Hans has been debating what kind of cake he would like. Most of the deliberation was between a shark and Lightning McQueen. Then Sunday night he decided upon a Mater cake. Our boys love the movie Cars (we even have a Cars themed bathroom) and Mater would be Hans' favorite character so I shouldn't have been surprised. With the help of some pictures, mini-donuts, a few pretzels, and frosting I think we came up with a pretty fair rendition.

After lunch we headed over to the Elks theatre in downtown Rapid City for the afternoon movie, Arthur and the Invisibles.

The day wrapped up with presents. Several had arrived in the mail or been sent with us when we were home in June so along with ours he had quite the impressive pile to open. The last picture shows him sporting a gift.

Picture #1: Hans, Mom, and Mater the Cake.

Picture #2: Singing Happy Birthday to Hans. Hans is happily on the lap of Mrs. Smith. The two of them seem to have a soft spot for each other. :)

Picture #3: The last picture is part of his gift from Aunt Andrea. He likes to wear his new "hat" but we'll have to see if he'll actually swim with it.

It was a fun little day for our fun-loving little boy. Hans is sweetheart and bring us so much joy. We love you, Hans. Happy 3rd Birthday!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I found your site while searching for Mater cakes. Yours is the nicest I have seen. Can you give me some info about how you shaped the cake? What kind of pans did you use? Thanks,

Kerrin

kandmsir@sbcglobal.net

Smith Family said...

For the Mater cake I used one standard size loaf pan and one small/baby loaf pan. I used one regular cake mix and split it between the two pans. I cut a piece of cardboard and covered it in wax paper the same size as the bottom of the large loaf pan. I placed the baked loaf on top to give it extras strength. I used two of my kids toy blocks to give the body of Mater some height and set the loaf of cake on them. I then set the sm. loaf on the large loaf in position to make it look like the cab of a pick-up truck. I mixed some white frosting with the chocolate to lighten the color and then frosted like crazy. I don't have any real cake decorating tools but just use a plastic zipper bag with a small hole cut in the corner for detailed work like the eyes, headlight, etc... I also used pretzel rods for the tow parts and mini chocolate donuts for the wheels and one cut in half for the top (radiator?? air filter?? the thing where the hood should be). I secured the sm. loaf and the donuts with tooth picks and skewers.

I hope that helps.