Monday, September 8, 2008

Something Scrumptious at the Smith's

My dearest friend and sister-in-law, Kristi, started a blog of her own called www.bowlofcherrys.blogspot.com and if you'd like a little daily smile and some laughter you should check it out. The reason I bring it up is that I'm stealing an idea of hers for this post. Kristi has weekly food posts (aka: Foodie Friday). Now I'm not committing to anything like that, my work here is much more...random. That said I couldn't pass up the chance to share Saturday's dinner. I'd seem something like this in a food magazine awhile back and ran across a recipe again so I came up with my own version of portobella pizza. I inverted the cap of a portobella mushroom, brushed it with pesto, filled it with browned sausage, covered that with garden fresh tomato slices, and covered the whole thing with mozzarella cheese. After 20-25 minutes in a 400 degree oven it was perfect. If you like mushrooms on pizza you might want to try this at home. Nathan and I both thought it was scrumptious.

Since our kids aren't mushroom fans we made them mini homemade pizzas that they appreciated in their own way.

1. My attempt at taking a foodie magazine style picture.

2. Trying to take a close up of the pizza but getting a hilarious shot of Hans instead.

3. Evan ready to dig in.

4. Lydia's happy to eat her share. (Yes, she's wearing a paper crown.)

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Looks yummy and thanks for the shout-out. Now, I am not sure whether I will take this recipe and make use of it or not. While I do now enjoy the occasional 'shroom this might be going a bit far for me. But I am glad you enjoyed it and I will stick to smaller mushrooms on top of my pizza. :o)